A hunger headache can be likened to a pain that is dull, at a time when you feel hungry. This is a kind of pain that can go away once you eat something.
But there are steps you can take to ensure you don’t get these kinds of headaches. This applies even if you don’t eat or fast for long periods of time.
A hunger headache is basically a headache that you get when you’re hungry. People who go long periods of time between their meals are more likely to experience hunger headaches.
You could also get hunger headaches at a time when you aren’t eating the right amount of food. There are certain ways that hunger headaches can affect you. These include:
- Hypoglycemia, meaning that the brain won’t be getting the blood sugar it needs from your food.
- You could also experience muscle tension. This is as a result of the body releasing histamine, which causes the muscles to tense up.
- If there is a drop when it comes to blood sugar levels, then this can also release stress hormones. As a result, you’re more likely to get a headache.
How To Get Rid Of A Headache From Not Eating
If you have a hunger headache, then the best way to deal with it is by eating something. In case you’re fasting, or have other reasons behind why you can’t eat, then you’ll need to stay hydrated.
If you aren’t eating enough food, then staying hydrated becomes even more important. You’ll also need to sleep properly as well.
Should you not be fasting, then consider eating smaller meals throughout the day. Even if you aren’t feeling hungry, eat small nutritious snacks from time to time.
The best way to deal with a hunger headache is to eat something. You’ll need to consume a balanced meal that has a lot of nutrients, as well as a lot of water.
Your body will need to start digesting the food before you start to feel better. Expect your headache to go away around half an hour after you’ve eaten something.
Should your headache still not go away, even though you’ve eaten, then you may need a pain reliever that’s available over the counter.
What Are The Hunger Headache Symptoms?
You could be wondering what are the symptoms you’re likely to experience, should you have a hunger headache. These include:
- You could experience mild nausea. If you go for extended periods without eating, this nausea could get worse.
- You could also experience muscle tension that’s around your shoulders as well as your neck.
- It’s possible for your blood sugar to drop as well, which could trigger low blood sugar headaches.
- If you get blood sugar headaches, then you can experience abdominal pain as well.
- You could feel dizzy and have a hard time focusing on every day tasks.
- Another symptom associated with hunger headaches is fatigue. You’ll feel tired and lethargic, and could also feel like you need to lie down.
- Some people swear excessively as well, especially if they have low blood sugar from not eating.
To better understand hunger and headaches, you should also understand what causes headaches when you feel hungry. Your headaches could be due to:
- Trying new regimens for eating, such as intermittent fasting.
- You could be drinking less or more beverages that are caffeinated, compared to usual. Such beverages include coffee as well as soda.
- You could not be eating at the right times. Eating at times that are irregular can also cause hunger headaches.
- If you go long periods of time between your meals, then this can cause hunger headaches as well.
- If you aren’t getting proper sleep, then you could also get headaches.
- Avoid skipping your meals, as this can so give you hunger headaches.
Headache From Not Eating But Not Hungry
If you go through long periods of time without eating, then your desire to eat could die out. As a result, you could end up experiencing hunger headaches, without feeling hungry.
If this happens, then the best way to deal with the situation is to eat something for even if you don’t feel hungry. Instead of a full meal, consider eating smaller snacks.
Eat slowly but consistently, and this can enable you to get back your appetite as well. It’s not uncommon for someone to not feel hungry if they’ve spent a long time without food.
The best way to deal with hunger headaches from such situations is to slowly introduce nutritious foodstuff into your body.
What To Eat For A Hunger Headache
So if you have a hunger headache, then what should you be eating? These include:
- Drink a lot of water.
- Limit the amount of caffeine you consume.
- Don’t eat foods that are high in sugar, or foods that are processed.
- Raw fruits as well as vegetables can be great for hunger headaches.
- You can also eat cooked vegetables or fruits, but they shouldn’t have a lot of sugar or fat added to them.
- Brown rice is another great option.
- You can consume whole-grain bread as well.
- Consider eating seeds as well as nuts.
- You can eat meat as well as fish but they shouldn’t be smoked, cured or dried.
Now what about the foods you shouldn’t eat when you have a hunger headache. There are certain foods that can give you headaches as well.
- Cheeses that are aged such as Swiss as well as Parmesan.
- Foods with MSG.
- Fruits that have been dried, as well as meats that have been dried.
- Processed foods that are high in sugar.
- Products of meat such as hot dogs. These often come with additives such as nitrites as well as nitrates.
Hunger Headache And Diabetes
By now you should have a better understanding of what is a hunger headache. But what about getting hunger headaches when you have diabetes?
A symptom that is commonly associate with low or high blood glucose, are headaches. Should you be having frequent headaches, then this could be as a result of diabetes.
Diabetes can be seen a cause of headaches that are secondary. These kinds of headaches are not caused by pain signals.
Instead they are due to medical problems or health conditions that are underlying. Headaches that are associated with diabetes can range from moderate in nature to severe.
Should you have diabetes, then the chances of you getting a headache are much higher than in many other people. You’ll need to keep tabs when it comes to the blood glucose you have.
If you can manage the symptoms of your diabetes, then you’re likely to have fewer headaches.
FAQ Relating To Whether Not Eating Can Cause Headaches
You could have many questions, when it comes to getting headaches when you’re hungry. Here are the most common questions that people have about hunger headaches.
Can I Get Headaches From Not Eating?
Yes, you can get headaches from not eating. These are commonly referred to as hunger headaches.
Should you not be taking regular meals, and even if you’re dehydrated, you can end up experiencing hunger headaches.
A hunger headache will typically go away by itself after you have consumed some food. Consider eating smaller portions of nutritional foods if you find that you aren’t hungry.
What Does A Hunger Headache Feel Like?
A hunger headache can be accompanied by various other symptoms. You could end up feeling dizzy in addition to having a headache.
You could also end up feeling nauseous as well. Hunger headaches can also be accompanied by stomach pains as well.
But your headache is what will probably stand out to you the most. You’ll feel as if there’s a dull, throbbing pain that’s in your head.
You could feel as if your entire forehead is feeling dull. Hunger headaches can be intense, and they can also be mild.
The intensity of your hunger headache can depend on how long you’ve gone without food. If you’ve gone longer without food, then the headache can be more intense.
How Do You Stop A Headache From Not Eating?
If you want to get rid of a headache that’s associated with not eating, then you’ll need to eat something. Within thirty minutes of you eating something, your headache will likely go away by itself.
But you should also be careful regarding what kind of foods you choose to eat. You shouldn’t eat processed foods or foods that have a lot of sugar content.
Instead, opt for healthy nutritional foods such as fruits and vegetables. Raw fruits and vegetables are great for hunger headaches, but you can also consider cooked variations, depending on what you choose to eat.
How Do You Fix A Hunger Headache?
The best way to fix a hunger headache is to actually eat something. You’ll also need to ensure that you’re properly hydrated.
There are certain kinds of foods, such as sugary and processed foods, that can make your headache worse. This is why you should avoid such foods.
Instead, opt for healthy foods like seeds, nuts, brown rice, vegetables, fruits, cooked meat and fish, and more.